Uploading your Dexcom G5 data
This article assumes you have:
- A Tidepool account - if you do not have a Tidepool account, you can create one for free at https://tidepool.org/signup.
- Installed the latest version of Tidepool Uploader - if you have not installed Tidepool Uploader, you can download the latest version at https://tidepool.org/uploader.
- A compatible Dexcom G5 receiver - you’ll need a Dexcom G5 receiver, a Dexcom G5 touchscreen receiver, Tandem t:slim X2 insulin pump, an iPhone running Dexcom G5 Mobile, or an Android phone running Dexcom G5 Mobile.
Uploading Dexcom G5 CGM data from your Dexcom G5 receiver
These instructions refer to the older Dexcom G5 receiver. Please see below for uploading instructions for the newer touchscreen receiver.
- Plug in your receiver, wait until you see that the receiver is charging before proceeding.
- Launch the Tidepool Uploader and log in to your account.
Confirm "Dexcom" is one of your Devices. You can change your devices by selecting "Choose Devices" from the menu under your name.
Confirm the Tidepool Uploader is set to the right time zone.
Click "Upload" to upload your data. Leaving the Uploader selected on your computer (in front of other windows) will allow it to execute the upload more quickly.
- After the upload is complete, you can upload another device or click "See data" to view your uploaded data.
Troubleshooting common Dexcom G5 receiver uploading issues
If your data fails to upload from your Dexcom G5 receiver, please try the following:
- Please be sure that you have installed the latest version of the Tidepool Uploader.
- Check that your receiver is charging when plugged into the cable - if it is not, then you may have a faulty cable or a faulty USB port on your receiver.
- Unplug the receiver from the Micro-USB cable and plug it back in, wait for the receiver to confirm it is charging before clicking “Upload” again.
- Switch the USB port that the receiver is attached to on your computer, wait for the receiver to confirm it is charging before clicking “Upload” again.
- Try another Micro-USB cable. Some Micro-USB cables are designed to carry a signal for power only.
- If you are on a Windows PC, please make sure you have installed the latest Windows updates as this can keep the computer from correctly recognizing the device.
- Refresh your Tidepool account with the refresh button in the lower left corner of Tidepool Web.
- If you have only uploaded your Dexcom, please note that this will not show any data in the Basics or Weekly Views at this time. Please go to the Daily View or Trends to see your CGM data.
- Please make sure that you are in the correct time period. The Dexcom Receiver only holds up to ~30 days of data.
Uploading Dexcom G5 CGM data from your Dexcom G5 touchscreen receiver
We are currently waiting to receive the device protocol to support direct uploads from the Dexcom G5 touchscreen receiver. These instructions will be updated as soon as we receive them and update Tidepool Uploader.
Please send an email to email@example.com if you would like to be notified as soon as Tidepool Uploader supports the Dexcom G5 touchscreen receiver.
If you are using a Dexcom G5 touchscreen receiver, you must upload your data to Dexcom Clarity to see data from this device in Tidepool. Please follow these instructions to connect your Dexcom account to Tidepool to see your Dexcom G5 CGM data in Tidepool.
Uploading Dexcom G5 CGM data from your iPhone running Dexcom G5 Mobile
If you use your iPhone to receive Dexcom G5 CGM data using Dexcom G5 Mobile, please follow these instructions to upload your Dexcom G5 CGM data using Tidepool Mobile.
Uploading Dexcom G5 CGM data from your Android phone running Dexcom G5 Mobile
If you use your Android phone to receive Dexcom G5 CGM data using Dexcom G5 Mobile, please follow these instructions to connect your Dexcom account to Tidepool to see your Dexcom G5 CGM data in Tidepool.
Uploading Dexcom G5 CGM data from your Tandem t:slim X2 insulin pump
If you use your t:slim X2 as your Dexcom G5 receiver, your Dexcom G5 data will upload along with your insulin pump data. Please follow these instructions to upload your t:slim X2 to Tidepool.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or feedback on this article. Please include the article title if you are submitting feedback to make it easier for us to identify what changes need to be made.